Dogs will ‘walk’ through West Hartford on Wednesday – We-Ha
The West Hartford Dog Walk will officially begin Wednesday afternoon with the reveal of the dogs.
By Ronni Newton
Dog Walk 2022 kicks off on Wednesday, August 31 with the official launch of the whimsical and colorful fiberglass dog exhibit in West Hartford.
Each dog was painted by a local artist, and the creative designs for the public art exhibit and fundraiser combination will be unveiled at a reveal scheduled for August 31, from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., beginning in the courtyard of Blue Back Square. . WTNH’s Dennis House will host the celebration.
The dogs will be spread out in the courtyard of Blue Back Square as well as around the statue of Noah Webster on South Main Street for community viewing. The dogs will stay until October 31, when the walk will move inside Westfarms for the duration of the festive season.
“You can feel the excitement building all over the city of West Hartford. The anticipation is palpable,” said Tom Hickey, CEO of 2020Media, the West Hartford-based media and marketing company producing what promises to be this year’s fundraiser. 2020Media was also the sponsor of last year’s WEHA Bear Fair fundraiser.
Although the dogs are smaller than the bears and Hickey wasn’t sure they would have the same visual impact, he was lucky enough to see them as the final coat of shellac dried and said he was amazed at how “beautiful, creative, and fun” they are.
“We’re counting on the entire community to join us as we unveil the dozen or so beautifully painted dogs that make up this outdoor exhibit and will be on display at Blue Back Square throughout the fall,” he said. . “We know people will be amazed at the level of creativity that went into creating these unique animal sculptures.”
Each of the 12 dogs is sponsored by a business or community member, and they have chosen a local charity to benefit from the fundraising aspect of Dog Walk 2022. Although there is no cost to see the dogs, each puppy has a sign attached to it which includes a QR code. Visitors are encouraged to donate to any (or all) of the non-profit beneficiaries, who will receive 100% of the proceeds.
UDOLF Properties is the general sponsor of Dog Walk, in collaboration with 2020Media. Dog sponsors, charities and artists are listed below.
- Uberdog: West Hartford Animal Control and West Hartford Dog Park Coalition; Artist Shane Hickey
- Modern Tire: West Hartford Art League; Artist Sam Ferri
- WTNH: APK charities; Artist Bryan Wziontko
- Sheehan-Hilborn-Breen Funeral Home; FIDELCO; Artist Amy Casazza
- Hartford Healthcare: HHC Therapy Dog Program; Artist Joanna Cistulli
- GYL Financial: pantry of Jewish Family Services; ArtistEmma Huntington
- Robin Gebrian: Ron Foley Foundation; Artist Shawn Kelly
- PeoplesBank: West Hartford Community Interactive; Artist Michelle Hawran
- Daley Moving & Storage: MacCallum Animal Welfare Fund; Artist Chris McClintic
- Hodges: Shelters of Jesus Inc.; Artist Sarah May
- Loi Goff: Rainbow/A Better World Adoptions (Ukraine); Artist Shane Hickey
- 2020Media/We-Ha.com/Turley Publications: The Bridge/Children’s Charity Ball; Artist Linda Biloeau
Media partners for Dog Walk 2022 include WTNH, We-Ha.com, Jewish Ledger, West Hartford Magazine and Turley CT Publications.